"Oh, I almost forgot. Al, you said some supernatural creatures were after you?"
"Yeah, sort of. They stopped chasing me after a while."
"What were they like? Did you get any visuals, or any "feel" about them?"
"Not terrifying, just that they wanted me away. And no, no real visuals, just a sense there was more than one and they were in whatever direction they were. You know what I mean?"
"I do; just a general sense of where they were, then. Where were you at the time?"
"Down there," Al gestured vaguely down the hillside and away from the main road. "They sort of chased me toward here?"
"Hmm. I bet they were Sam's watch-creatures then. He sets them to keep people out of his land. Nothing personal; he's at least three-quarters Lenape and us non-Native people took all their land. Could never get out of him whether his people have been here all along, or came back after they were run off [note: look this up; also Lenape/NE Native methods of keeping strangers out]. Sam's cool, just needs to know and trust a person first. He and my dad...ah, that's a story for another time. Yes, I see you yawning again." Akka entered the bedroom and rummaged in the old, carved dresser. "There. Top and bottom, they don't have to match." She pulled out flannel, one bundle bright-red with a small white design and the other off-white with flowers. "Goodnight, Al. Sleep well, and don't be surprised if a cat or two comes in. It's cool enough they'll start taking advantage of us at night for our body heat."
Al shook his head. "Okay. I...like cats."
"Good. Roughly half a dozen live around here, sort of strays but I give them meat or fish scraps when I have them. In
"Yeah, sort of. They stopped chasing me after a while."
"What were they like? Did you get any visuals, or any "feel" about them?"
"Not terrifying, just that they wanted me away. And no, no real visuals, just a sense there was more than one and they were in whatever direction they were. You know what I mean?"
"I do; just a general sense of where they were, then. Where were you at the time?"
"Down there," Al gestured vaguely down the hillside and away from the main road. "They sort of chased me toward here?"
"Hmm. I bet they were Sam's watch-creatures then. He sets them to keep people out of his land. Nothing personal; he's at least three-quarters Lenape and us non-Native people took all their land. Could never get out of him whether his people have been here all along, or came back after they were run off [note: look this up; also Lenape/NE Native methods of keeping strangers out]. Sam's cool, just needs to know and trust a person first. He and my dad...ah, that's a story for another time. Yes, I see you yawning again." Akka entered the bedroom and rummaged in the old, carved dresser. "There. Top and bottom, they don't have to match." She pulled out flannel, one bundle bright-red with a small white design and the other off-white with flowers. "Goodnight, Al. Sleep well, and don't be surprised if a cat or two comes in. It's cool enough they'll start taking advantage of us at night for our body heat."
Al shook his head. "Okay. I...like cats."
"Good. Roughly half a dozen live around here, sort of strays but I give them meat or fish scraps when I have them. In
no subject
Date: 2018-11-08 12:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2018-11-08 02:55 am (UTC)