zlabya: drawing of small fox, face in profile, wearing mittens. Music notes at left. (MusicFoxChild)
[personal profile] zlabya
Happy (Western secular) New Year, everyone! I'm wishing you all good things (including health and if appropriate a COVID vaccine) in 2021.

I have been grieving Ivan; the hardest part was the first few days. We put away most of his things, plus the gray throw blanket that looked so much like him lounging on the sofa as he used to. I'm now doing something that might seem masochistic at first but is oddly comforting--making a "comfort kitten" out of an old pair of fuzzy ankle socks that lost their elasticity. They're red with white and black stripes, so nothing like Ivan, and I've given the kitten-in-progress black button eyes which makes it even less like him. The proportions are a little off but kitty is fuzzy and cute. The face looks a bit like our neighbor's (black and white) cat's; also like [profile] proudcockatrice's cat in their icon photo.

Christmas was quiet and good, with a lovely Quaker service on Zoom. I was delighted to offer and use my modest gifts as song leader to lead in two hymns (O Come, O Come Emmanuel and Hark, The Herald Angels Sing--two of my favorites). I couldn't hear anyone else, and got out of breath a bit, but stayed pretty well on tune and people seems to be glad. Four others led in singing and all was good. Husband and I had a mostly quiet "introverts' Christmas" with good food, opening the gifts that had arrived so far, and calling family.

My work is spiced up with the "lead-up" Zoom events for our annual comic-con (all online; mostly Zoom with costume, art, and essay contest entries emailed in. I love the work and I'm not too busy with my regular tasks to enjoy it.

I've been organizing my crafting hoard (I'm rather dragonish about it but am finally starting to let go of some, bit by bit) Thank goodness I have plenty of boxes for sorting and sub-sorting!

I've been reading Saint Young Men by Hikaru Nakamura, a charming series about Jesus and the Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) living in early 21st century Tokyo on a modest budget. Being me I don't find it a bit sacreligious but rather a good bit-by-bit introduction to both deities' lives and central teachings. There are funny bits such as Jesus' love of computer games and the silkstreened t-shirts Buddha makes for both of them. They have to be careful--if Buddha mentions he is hungry animals will swarm around him offering themselves as dinner, and when Jesus is stressed or upset he starts bleeding from the crown of thorns he always wears. The central joke gets a bit tiring sometimes, but other times I'm thoroughly enjoying the series. Right now I'm on the third English-language volume. I still kinda want to cosplay Buddha--all I'd need is jeans, a "popcorn" crocheted wig I can make myself, and a t-shirt. He's so sweet. But I'm likely to skip Buddha for concern about offending someone plus I really want to cosplay Hesekiel the one at the right carrying the teacups from the Tea Dragon Society series. I wouldn't do full face and body makeup but would make a "hat" for his ears, head, and braids.

Profile

zlabya: color art of a dark-haired young woman holding a scrawny Russian Blue cat (Default)
zlabya

May 2021

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011 12131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 2nd, 2026 07:16 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios